Jun 4, 2011

Old Jeans + Wooden Box = Upcycle project!

Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.

I wasn't aware of this new term (which obviously isn't so new anymore, but to me it is) but I think my latest project falls under this category of "upcycling". This is what I've done!

1) I took my wooden "memory-box" (where I keep all sorts of memory-thingies, obviously (: )

Upcycled wooden box1 2) Then I took one of my very old "should-be-thrown-away-long-time-ago-jeans" and cut it up into pieces (great to get some frustrations out!) and started gluing it on my boring box.. I figured, these jeans also have some memories, so why not intergrate it with my memory box?

Here's the result!

Top Cover:

Upcycled wooden box

Side of box:Upcycled wooden box - side
Side & Top:Upcycled wooden box2
Very fun to do!

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm not sure what the difference is between upcycling and recycling but I love your box!

Lily Razz said...

Oh oh.. you got me there fairy.. Now I need to google the difference between both terms!!
The most straightforward explanation I have come across of the difference between the two is as follows: Recycling involves chemical transformation procedures. For example, through a chemical process, old plastic bottles can be turned into a durable fabric. Likewise, heating old glass to the point of melting (technically a chemical process because of changes at the molecular level) allows it to be poured, blown, or otherwise re-formed into new glass items. On the other hand, trimming down the front of a cereal box and binding it into a notebook cover requires only physical processes, and therefore by this definition would be considered upcycling.
In the end, it doesn't really matter what you call it, just as long as we are keeping things out of landfills!

Lily Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...