Dec 13, 2013

Houndstooth Potholder Pattern

Happy FO Friday everybody! I found this lovely potholder pattern, but since it was a Swedish pattern I had to translate it with Google translate. With a little tweaking of my own, I think I'm pretty close.

 
This pattern uses two colors: Color A and Color B

INSTRUCTIONS
Chain 26 with edge color (color A) ,
turn and work sc in 2nd chain from hook untill end of row (25sc).
Turn and change color (color B)
Row 1: (color B): 1 sc, 1 dc//1tr (insert hook in stitch of the previous row);
* 1 sc, 1 dc//1tr* repeat * - * across row.
Row 2: (color B): 25 sc
Row 3: (color A): = ROUND 1
Row 4: (color A): = ROUND 2
Continue crocheting until piece is square. Work 1 row sc around potholder to finish the edging.
To make handle: Chain 20. Join in the dc with a sl st. Fasten off tightly.  Weave in ends.

My extra comments:
Sc's are worked regularly, but all dc's in this pattern are worked in "row -2". (i.e. if you are at row 3, you insert your hook in a row 1stitch)

When changing colors I change the order of sc,dc. i.e. Row 1: (color B): *1sc, 1dc* repeat * - * across row. Row 3: (color A): *1dc, 1sc* repeat * - * across row

 
If you have any questions about my translation, please let me know! Original pattern can be found here.

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

These look awesome! Great job, Lily. Thanks for posting the translation.

Unknown said...

Thank you Kepanie, you're such a sweetheart!

Unknown said...

I like the pattern for the potholder very much and am trying to do. I would appreciate your explaining the following:
Row 1: 1sc, 1dc//1 tr What does // mean? Can't find it in my book "The Crochet Bible". I understand the 3 stitches and that the the note re: the tr (insert hook in stitch of the previous row; just don't understand //.
Thank you.
Sharon Mahoney

Unknown said...

I really like your potholder with houndstooth pattern.
I would appreciate knowing one thing and I will try it.
In Row 1 you say 1sc,1dc//1tr(insert hook in stitch of the previous row). What does // mean? I've been unable to find a definition for that term. Does it possibly mean special instructions follow?
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon!

// means "or". I translated this pattern and I never knew whether she meant tr or dc, but I think you can use both. I guess it also depends whether your using the UK or US crochet terms. When you're using the US terms, the pattern is:

1sc, 1dc

When you're using UK terms, the pattern is:

1dc, 1tr

I hope this clarifies things a bit, I will adjust the post.

Lily Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...